Project in Focus: TRANSFORMERS
In the TRANSFORMERS project (Configurable and Adaptable Trucks and Trailers for Optimal Transport Efficiency), EUCAR members developed a solution to achieve 25% energy efficiency per tonne kilometres in a real-world application. This was achieved by combining in a modular approach three concepts:
- Rightsizing by means of hybridization,
- truck engine downsizing and
- trailer design addressing aerodynamics and load efficiency improvements.
Since September 2013 the TRANSFORMERS project successfully developed an innovative tractor-semitrailer and a truck-trailer. The solutions will enable up to 8 % energy saving per tonne kilometre in long haulage and up to 12 % for distribution traffic. Further TRANSFORMERS achievements:
- Pre-standard framework for the electric Hybrid-on-Demand driveline concept;
- Demonstrator of three different vehicle combinations;
- Toolboxes with aerodynamic devices/technologies, and another one with load – and loading efficiency devices/technologies;
- Both include guidelines for selecting options, and demonstrate devices as part of the total vehicle demonstrations;
- Compliance with infrastructure for vehicle combination concepts composed of truck-trailer combinations.
TRANSFORMERS will hold its final conference on 29 June 2017 in Gothenburg. To join the event please visit the TRANSFORMERS website.
|September 2013||48 months||€7.9 million||€5.2 million||http://www.transformers-project.eu/|
|Partners:||Coordinator: Volvo Group|
|EUCAR members: DAF Trucks, Volvo Group|
|Partners: Bosch, FEHRL, Fraunhofer, IFSTTAR, IRU Projects, Procter & Gamble, Schmitz Cargobull, TNO, Uniresearch, Van Eck, Virtual Vehicle|